Friday, July 28, 2006

Christianity at its best?

This is an old post I had on another site, but always liked it, so thought I'd put it here.


Editor's note: Given recent history's worldwide spate of religious fervor and fanaticism, I thought this email copy I ran across would be appropriate here. Education is important, no matter how it comes, eh?


Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a U.S. radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance.


Dear Dr. Laura: Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific Bible laws and how to follow them:


1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord -Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?


2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?


3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.


4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?


5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?


6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality? I don't agree. Can you settle this?


7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?


8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?


9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?


10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)?


I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.


BTW, I don't know where this originally came from, so if it is yours, please let me know so I can give credit where credit is due! Thanks.


3 Comments:

God's law was meant for the Children of Israel. You have to rightly divide the Word. Now that Jesus Christ has come, we no longer have to keep the law, because He took on the law for us.
Here are excerpts from my article...

This morning marked a milestone in my life. After coming off of a 3 day fast, I finally received a breakthrough. During the fast, the Lord revealed to me that I had been living under a curse. The curse of the law of sin and death, which is the law of Moses. The Bible says in Gal 3:10-12 (For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them. But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for “the just shall live by faith.” Yet the law is not of faith, but “the man who does them shall live by them.”)

It turns out that I have been trying to please God through my own efforts and not by just letting my faith lie in His Son Jesus Christ and being justified through Christ only. You can’t justify, sanctify or purify yourself. If you are not putting your faith in Christ and Him crucified, then you are operating under the law. EVERYTHING we need comes from Christ and Him crucified or Christ and the Cross; the Cross is not just the wooden beam, it is the finished works of what Jesus did on the Cross, the dying and the shedding of His blood for the reason that we may have life and have it more abundantly (i.e. victorious living), so that we may be set free and have victory. Not only for the remission of sins, but also for redemption of EVERYTHING we lost in the fall of Adam…unbroken fellowship, blessings etc. He redeemed us from being bound in ANYTHING Satan tries to throw at us.

Evangelist Jimmy Swaggart put it this way, “While Christ is always the Source, the Cross is the Means…the Power of God cannot be exhibited except by and through the Means of the Cross. It is through the Cross of Christ which has made everything possible…Salvation, the Baptism with the Holy Spirit, Sanctification, the Gifts of the Spirit, the Fruit of the Spirit, answered prayer in every capacity, and blessings of all dimensions. It is all by and through the Cross-.

So quit trying to become righteous on your own, you can’t. That is just pure religion. Gal 3: 2-3 (…Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?) Christ died so that we would not have to keep the law because no one can keep the law. That is why so many people were stoned to death in the Old Testament; they could not keep all of the law. Priests were falling out dead in the tabernacle because they tried to enter or got too close to the Holy of Holies and they were not fit or qualified to enter. Oh! But now we have a High Priest Who by His Blood made it possible for us to enter the Holy of Holies at anytime.

Remember, self-righteousness brings the curse of the law! Gal 3:13-14 (Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us [for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”] that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.) And that is the key through faith in Christ and Him crucified. Not faith in anything else, not your own abilities, not your goodness and works, not your grandmother’s faith, not your ‘word’ of faith. Ouch! That’s right, word of faith; how many times have we said, “I have faith that God is going to get me that house or that car, or I call those things that be not as though they were; and nothing has happened. It’s called the ‘Name it and Claim it game.’ If you are putting your faith in things and not in The One Who gives you those things, then you are not seeking first the Kingdom of God and His Righteousness. Matt. 6:33.

When you try so hard to please God on your own, or try to get Him to do certain things or make certain things happen by your own effort, it’s dead works. Hebrews 9:4 says “…how much more shall the blood of Christ, Who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the Living God?” It can be laborious and frustrating to try to obtain this on your own; very exhausting. But Jesus said, “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” Mat 11:28-29.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:52 PM  

so JC is your new god? isn't that against one of those commandment things? or don't you believe those are for you, either.

I don't take anyone who quotes Jimmy Swaggart too seriously on any account.

By Blogger DadEO, at 8:06 PM  

If I read melva correctly Christian values cannot be imposed but "the spirit" must come to one, right?

Then why is Bushco trying to impose Christian values in the Middle East?

As Bush told Palestinian officials that "God made me invade Iraq" does that make Bush "the spirit" or just "the Decider" acting upon the spirit?

Complicated stuff, religion.

Great original post though.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home